OH the turtleneck. It’s a frequent conversation topic for my work friends, and I. The girls revere turtlenecks as the ultimate winter layering piece, or classic sweater staple. The men? Well they joke about a grandma vibe, but let them chatter … we’ll be sitting all toasty warm in the corner.
Let’s count the different styling options:
- Over a flowy or fit and flare skirt with a killer pair of heels. We can’t go totally elderly.
- Keep your hair tucked in for a faux-bob.
- A thick knit with light-wash boyfriend jeans, and slingbacks.
- Thin turtleneck underneath a thicker turtleneck. Feel free to push up those shirt sleeves and show the pairing.
- Underneath a blazer, nubby house coat, or really anything else.
- A neutral look head-to-toe.
If you have any great ideas for how you wear your turtleneck feel free to share. I’m always up for some new inspo.
And if you wanna follow along with more Steeped in Style posts, you can follow the blog via RSS/email (on the right column of the site) or through bloglovin’.
One of the best fashion abilities presented in winter is layering. For some, the lack of thoughtful layering brings a unique deep chill to their bones until the frosty ground is again broken in April. But some, are always up for the challenge of layering. Today we’ll cover the basics with a trusty accessory: a pair of socks.
As a lifelong (sans college) resident of the great northeast, I consider myself pretty creative in the art of using socks, basic as it sounds, to keep things cozy, even when you’re out in the elements.
- ALWAYS, and I mean without fail, layer tights with socks on top. This is a non-negotiable. At least start with an ankle sock, but playing with the proportion of sock shown is encouraged too.
- Quality counts. Those last minute checkout grabs at F21 will only get you so far. Look for socks with more body, and perhaps some wool content for a real winner. No one likes a pair that only last one meager season.
- Engage in optical illusions. If you didn’t join the over the knee boot trend, you can fake the illusion with an over the knee pair of socks in a similar color. Or, if you don’t want cold ankles with your favorite pair of oxfords, or boots, a funky ankle pair can keep you warm.
A few of my favorite options are below! Be smart about staying warm, friends.
Free People cuff socks / Smartwool merino wool blend socks / Nordstrom black hosiery / P.J. Salvage brown socks / Knee hi socks / Star socks / Forever 21 knee hi socks